Updated: Tuesday, September 14, 2010
CAQC Handbook updates
A number of changes/additions have been incorporated into the CAQC Handbook that is posted on the website. In addition to editorial changes, such as making the number schemes consistent throughout the document, the following changes are of significance:
- Added a new section to explain the organizational standard with respect to governance and administration expectations (Chapter 3.6).
- Updated the Graduate Program Proposal Guidelines and Assessment Standards following work of a subscommittee and feedback from institutions offering graduate programs (Chapter 4.4.1).
- Added new sections on "Baccalaureate Degrees in Nursing" and "Degrees Involving Diplomas in Campus Alberta" to the Expectations for Design and Structure of Undergraduate Degrees (Chapter 4.3.3).
- Added Council's protocol for dealing with collaborative degree arrangements which had previously been forwarded to institutions last fall (Chapter 4.6).
- Updated the section on Comprehensive Evaluations following work of a subcommittee based on Council's experience to date with such reviews (Chapter 5.1). The work resulted in a new self-study template for comprehensive evaluations and a change to the timing of such reviews.
- Added new appendices on the Terms and Conditions of Ministerial Approval and Financial Security Requirements applicable to Non-resident Institutions (Appendix K; Appendix L).
- Updated the relevant sections of the Handbook to reflect the Programs of Study Regulation (AR 91/2009).
Mandate and Roles Document
The Alberta Public Agencies Governance Act calls for each public agency to have a signed Mandate and Roles statement. CAQC's document, which was signed by the Minister and Council's Chair in Novemeber 2009, is available at CAQC Mandate and Roles.
Dr. Patricia Clements has been appointed Vice-Chair of the Council.
At its annual retreat earlier this month, Council adopted the following dates for future meetings: 10-11 December 2009, 16-17 February 2010, 21-22 April 2010 (if needed), 15-16 June 2010, and 31 August-1 September 2010.
As of July 1, 2009, Dr. Dianne Kieren and Dr. Keith Ward completed their terms of office on the CAQC. The Minister of Advanced Education and Technology has appointed Dr. Peter Mahaffy and Dr. Art Quinneyas Council's newest members. A brief biography of each member is available on this web site under Council Membership.
Council's fifth Annual Report for the period 1 April 2008 to 31 March 2009 is now available on Council's web site under Publications.